🤫 Truth or Die Startup Edition
Welcome to the Kernal newsletter: we're the hotel that auto-upgrades your room cuz we know you'll need 11/10 wifi to ship new features during your stay
Latest news: Stripe's IPO'ing. Meta stocks growing. IG Co-Founders announced Artifact. Snapchat and Spotify had a brutal Q4. Samsung dropped new smartphones. ChatGPT is calculating mortgage payments. Billy Mcfarland's CONsulting for $1800/hr. TikTok's CEO is prepping a TED Talk for Congress. Valentine's is in 11 days. 🌹
*Don't forget to book that dinner rezo to surprise your life co-founder (aka spouse) or you'll end up like Billy 👇
- 🤫 3 Truth or Dies for Startup Founders
- 📈 Hot startup ideas to skim
- 🐥 Timely tweets
Right now you're reading the newsletter. And there's no shame in that. But you're clicks away from being the Kernal newsltter👇
🤫 Truth or Die Founder Edition
Founders, we're not gonna lie. This new year, new me energy is 89% bullcrap. And 3rd-time founders know it's true. You can only James Clear your startup so far.
At the end of the day, you have to "do the work":
- You gotta validate your MVP
- You gotta dial those sales calls
- You gotta hire that product manager
It ain't easy. And if it was,
less would work at Google everybody would do it.
To keep you going, we wanted to play a little round of Truth or Die to remind you what you need to do to keep scaling and keep your startup from dying. Judges, let's start the clocks...
1. Truth or Die: The best way to find your first users is to sit on your couch and wait for a Twitter thread to go viral? 🤞
Solution: This newsletter from Lenny points out 7 powerful ways you can meet your first users. Steal the hacks below to see how Uber, Snapchat and Instagram got their first 1,000 users.
2. Truth or Die: The best way to find your first couple of customers is going door to door in San Francisco 🚪
Solution: Jake Mcdonald, head of product at Antler, reminds us "35% of startups fail because they launch products with no market need" (yikes 😅).
You wanna validate your customers ASAP. Here's 3 ways he says you can do it for less than $1000 out of your savings account:
a) Host customer interviews (via emails, blog, voice notes etc) to find out if 1) you're solving a real problem and 2) is there a demand for my solution
b) Research the search volumes for your keyword using tools like Moz, ubersuggest, or google adwords. All have free versions.
c) Post your startup idea on Kernal and spin up a landing page with our Yep.so integration to share with your potential customers.
📩 email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want help with that
Time for the 3rd and finalllll round of true or die
3. Truth or Die: the best way to retain customers is by singing "Kum ba yah" every time they complain 🎶
Solution: Hubspot, a marketing CRM startup idea that's scaled to be worth $20B wrote a blog on this exact question. Their advice is:
- Provide an “aha” experience: give 'em a wow moment
- Leverage data from customers who leave: track your best/worst customers and iterate weekly
- build a regular social media/newsletter schedule that answers their top questions (check out hootsuite.com)
- feature your top customers: check in with them quarterly on how you can make their exp 11/10
- *Bonus: join an accountability group: Blake hosted one the other day and it went so well he's already working on the next one. Comment here if you wanna join👇
Now onto some fresh startup ideas you can sink your teeth into.
*Sorry, you can tell I'm eyeing up a late-night snack
✨ Startup Ideas ✨
"The only section Joe Rogan reads" - Forbes 2022
Wanna build or invest in a startup idea?
Click below to up-vote and comment on your favourites.
Got a startup idea of your own?
Quit bragging and start sharing. Tap that button below and we'll do the heavy lifting.
📚 Weekend Read
If you got 0 out of 3 on the Truth or Die pop quiz, you should flag our recap blog of our AMA with Steph Smith. It's full of:
- how to hacks
- growth frameworks
- decision making templates
On how to scale your startup in the wild west economists are calling "2023". Smash the green button below to get studying.
🐦 Tweets of the Week
Take a scroll, and reply if these make you lol
Have a fantastic weekend founders.
Don't drown in too many coffee request emails 🌊
💚 The Kernal Fam
P.S. Got a purchase under $100 that's 10x'd your life? Answer in this tweet.
How did you like today's newsletter?
🔥 11/10 · 😕 Meh · 😴 Boring Sauce