Happy Friday Fam,
Welcome back to the Kernal newsletter: your friend at the airport that watches your stuff and surprises you with a hot coffee when you come back from the bathroom.
Latest news (if you've been busy building): Adobe scooped up Figma for $20B, Patagonia founder blew everyone's minds, baby boomers are googling "quiet quitting" and inflation's gone wild. Kernal research surveys have found 78% of you are binging The Crown, 92% of you think Zuck's going pro-MMA and 100% of you think Mr. Beast made malls cool again. Also, we hit 200 MVPs on Kernal. Meet one of them in an IG reel our intern whipped up. Buckle up and LFG. 🔥
- 📈 From tweet to startup in 5 weeks
- 🧃 Juicy startup ideas you'll love
- 💸 Seed deal round up
- 🐦 Tweet of the day
Community s/o of the week goes to our friend Sid for calling out Kernal on some bugs 🐞 we need to squash:
If you haven't noticed, user feedback is our love language. The more you give, the more likely we're gonna drop a knee and toss you an engagement ring. So keep the feedback flowing 🙏 (tweet us here)
Before we hit the main course, do you know a founder or investor that should be on Kernal? Send them an invite to let them skip the waitlist.
That's a flipping MVP!
And it's out in the world soaring high 🚀
You heard us right, folks. Just over a month ago, an idea was shared and in a matter of weeks, two builders from Kernal had some:
- spare time,
- spotify tunes,
- ramen noodles and
- 50 Mbps of wifi power willed the startup idea to life
Move over Tony Robbins. We got some real inspiration that doesn't cost a dime. Here's their timeline (or the social media TL;DR):
- On August 5th, Tanveer raised his hand to mentor a founder with an idea
- Later that month, the idea was shared on Kernal
- Earlier this week, an MVP was born. (a darn good-looking one)
It took a mere couple of weeks for two random internet strangers to team up on an idea they wanted to see come to life. Now dealdocs.co is out in the world 🚀 What our team could believe in our video call last Tuesday was:
- They found the idea in public
- Met their cofounder in public
- And now are sharing the MVP in public
It's full circle baby. And if you didn't catch the trend:
building in public is the new sliced bread 🍞
It's easy to source ideas, find talent and distribute the MVP. And we're just so flipping jazzed Kernal gets to be in the middle of that 🎶
So, who's gonna win the startup project shoutout next week? What are you gonna will to life over the weekend?
Startup Ideas of the Week
We spend all week scrolling startup ideas, so you don't have to. All you gotta do is tap on the photos and up-vote the ones you like. This week's there's a bonus mix. If you like it, give us a holler.
We added deal notes below each idea so you can see the TL;DR if it's worth clicking. Alrighty. Pitter patter, let's get at 'er:
- Deal notes: Shared by Hootsuite Founder Ryan Holmes (1.7m followers), seeking real estate co-founder, Vancouver-based project. Reach out here
- Deal notes: Founded by Ahmed Nadar, looking for Intros to C-Suite Officers and Mentees. Join his Community to learn more. Reach out here
- Deal notes: Posted by Tamar Weinberg, teased the idea on Twitter (35K followers), and ready to support the action. Reach out here
- Deal notes: Pitched by Salena Dhillon from LOI, currently building marketplace, working on Figma mock-up. Open to intros. Reach out here
- Deal notes: Founded by Nino Melikidze, Toronto based founder, looking for marketplace partners, Reach out here
- Deal notes: Idea by Willie Richter, trying to make your weekend Netflix binge educational. Reach out here
- Deal notes: Written by David Steinley, Slushkiller needs a CTO. Reach out here
- Deal notes: Built by Javier Ontiveros, Join the fight with PyNinja on your side. Reach out here
- Deal notes: Engineer by Matthew Jacobs, PAY-tience tool for this bear market. Reach out here
💸 Seed Deal Roundup
- Doodles, a web3 media/entertainment startup, raised a $54M round at a $704M valuation led by Seven Seven Six (BW)
- Opus Security, an Israeli cloud security orchestration and remediation startup, raised $10m in seed funding. YL Ventures led, and was joined by Tiger Global.
- Goldsky, a data infrastructure company for crypto startups, raised a $20M seed round led by Felicis and Dragonfly Capital (TC)
- Flavrs, a food-focused creator app, raised $7m in seed funding from Andreessen Horowitz, David Grutman, Eric Ripert and Tom Colicchio.
- GrowerIQ, a Toronto-based cannabis ERP platform, raised C$3 million in seed funding. Golden Section and MaRS IAF co-led, and were joined by LAGO, Delbridge,GTM Fund and Gaingels.
- Bitmama, a Nigerian blockchain payments startup, raised $2m in pre-seed funding co-led by Unicorn Growth Capital and Launch Africa.
- Cloud data security startup Theom raised a $16.4M seed round led by Ridge Ventures and M12 (PRN)
- Tract, an online community for kids to teach each other, raised a $7M seed round led by NEA (PRN)
- Pakistani embedded finance platform Neem raised a $2.5M seed round led by SparkLabs Fintech (TC)
Curious about NFTs? Join the Club
We teamed up with Peter Yang to re-share a timely blog post he shared on the future of NFTs. Dig in here to read the full post.
Memes of the Week:
Know a founder or investor that should be on Kernal? Send them an invite to help them skip the waitlist. We're rising all tides and would love to have them jump aboard our ship.
Now go celebrate that key project you crushed this weekend 🍻
💚 Kernal Fam