⛱ How to Land an Eh-ngel Investment at a July 4th Party
Welcome to the Kernal newsletter: where our favourite Drake motto is taking founders from 0 to 100 real quick. Don't buy it? Crank our Spotify playlist this weekend 🎶
Happy Canada Day to our friends in the great white North 🇨🇦 and happy July 4th to our patriotic friends in the sunny south 🇺🇸
We're keeping today short and sweet (just like Canada's maple syrup) so you can party all weekend basking in your patriotic pride. And what better way to celebrate Independence Day than raising up more founders in America? 💪
In business news: Layoffs keep piling, Radioshack's Twitter game blew up and Snapchat launched a paid plan. Got those cottage road trips booked to Aunt Pam's yet? B/C we got a hack to help you pay for the gas. It's called angel investing. And today we're gonna teach you how to start getting your feet wet. Let's jump to the goods so we can get you back to the beach 🏝
- 💰 Steal our angel investing advice
- 🔥 Startup ideas to get you jazzed
- 🫖 Spill the tea startup edition
P.S. Today's piece is not investment advice. Just friendly Kernal banter to keep you guessing what we're gonna drop next.
💰 Steal our Angel Investing Advice
I had the chance to attend an angel investing webinar hosted by Gale Wilkinson and Justin Gordon at Vitalize and something hit me in the face. We should share some of these ideas with our Kernal community.
And since Gale is a pretty cool VC that loves building in public, I'm sure she'd be okay with me sharing some takeaways.
- 💸 14m accredited investors in the US; 11% of households
- 💸 300k angels invest per year; only 2% of the accredited population
- 💸 22% of angels are women
- 💸 108m non-accredited investors in the US; 89% of households
Here's how she said you can get started:
This was another killer graph she had for new angels curious about the cash deployment breakdown depending on how much cash you have freed up
The TL;DR: angel investing is ripe with opportunity my friends.
If you want a full copy of the slides, drop us a DM on Kernal and we'll pass them your way.
And if you're curious to explore more about angel investing in pre-seed startups, you may want to look into the venture fund we're putting together. Want a walk-through of our deck? Click below.
🚀 Startup Ideas to Sink Your Teeth Into
Up-vote, comment and flag your favs:
Sitting on a juicy startup idea? Stop teasing us. Pull it out of your notebook and smash that green button below.
🍵 Spill the Startup Tea
- Are unicorns a dying breed? This CB insight article breaks down why there may be a slow down of startups valued at $1B+ in 2022
- Celsius hit pause: With $11.8B in assets, Celsius pausing all withdrawals, swaps and transfers raised some eyebrows.
- Web 3 Bandaid Needed: Bloomberg claims Bitcoin hit its lowest level in 18 months.
- 15 Rules to Scrap: Sahil breaks down 15 life principles founders should kill to have more clarity in their life
🗓 Book your Calendar
Like jamming on startup ideas? Join our Twitter spaces interview with Aiswarya Ashok next Wednesday @ 11 am PST. The best part? It's all audio so you can enjoy the convo on a walk, peloton or while you're picking up the kids.
🐦 Tweet of the Week:
Levelling up is great. But don't forget to enjoy the journey.
P.S. Know a founder or investor that should join Kernal? Send them an invite.
Make this weekend one to remember.
💚 Kernal fam
How did you like this week's newsletter?
😍 Loved it · 😕 Meh · 😠 Hated it